Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sushi and Sashimi Safety : Seafood University.com


Sushi and Sashimi Safety : Seafood University.comSushi and Sashimi Safety
By Michael Vaughn on Jul 9, 2007 in Seafood Safety, Consumer Issues, Seafood, Purchaing Seafood

O.K., I’m the wrong person to be writing this; I’m a fishmonger who will not eat raw fish. It’s not that I’m opposed to it; I’ve just been working in the seafood industry for too long that the thought of eating sashimi and raw-form sushi gives me the willies.



I’ve seen parasites, as big around as my thumb, snaking through swordfish (Xiphias gladius) that almost went the entire length of its body; and this fish was almost five feet long. I’ve seen little worms in sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka), chinook (O. tshawytscha), and coho (O. kisutch) salmon camouflaged by being the same color as its hosts’ flesh. From pus pockets caused by disease to lesions due to injuries, I’ve seen, first hand, most of what affects fish quality, safety, and palatability. This makes me sick yuck! David

No comments: